Geo rules are a feature which allows you to tag the location of employee punches, and even create a "geo fence" that specifies where they are allowed to clock in (e.g., within 1 km of 123 Main Street, etc.). If an employee tries to clock in outside this geo fence, the punch will be rejected.
You can create multiple conditions for geo rules:
- Clock default - All punches on a certain time clock device must obey the geo rule set up for it, unless overridden by another geo rule condition below.
- Shifts - You can set a geo rule for beginning of shift, and a different geo rule for end of shift, or use the clock default.
- Breaks - You can create a geo rule for beginning of break, and a different geo rule for end of shift, or use the shift geo rules, or clock default.
- Jobs - An employee must obey a job's geo rule in order to clock into it. This rule take priority over all others.
The geo rule feature is included in the Pro plan, as well as Free Trial.
To create a geo rule, in the Admin Console, go to Settings => Shifts => Geo Rules, and create your rules. A geo rule looks as follows:
If you only want to tag the location of punches so you can audit/review them later, but not enforce where the punch is, then leave "Enable geofence" unchecked.
You'll then need to assign your geo rule to appropriate events:
1) Clock - Go to Settings => Clocks, and assign geo rule to a clock.
2) Shifts / Breaks - See our schedule help article for more on this.
3) Jobs - Go to Settings => Costing, enable Costing Mode, and assign geo rule to a job.
To review the mapped location of a punch, go to Manage => Punches and view the punch. If you allow punches outside of geofence to be silently flagged, then the punches will be flagged there as well as in reports for your review and/or approval.
You can also conveniently review all your punches on a map by going to Manage => Geo Mapping.